Swarthmoor Hall is a Grade II Listed Building near the market town of Ulverston in the Lake District. The Hall is surrounded by peaceful gardens and grounds, and is only two miles from the coast.
The Hall was built circa 1600 by lawyer George Fell. After his death it was passed down to his son and his wife, Judge Thomas Fell and his wife Margaret. Swarthmoor Hall was visited by the founder of the Quaker movement, George Fox, in 1652. After Thomas Fell’s death, George wed Margaret Fell. He stayed at the hall intermittently throughout his life.
The Hall is currently closed for restoration but normally it is regularly used for courses and retreats. Swarthmoor Hall offers house tours to members of the public who want to learn more about local history. There is also a café on site, as well as a gift shop (currently closed).
Swarthmoor Hall is currently managed by Quiet Company, a fully owned trading subsidiary of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). The company has a sustainable and ethical ethos. Each year, the company gift-aids any profits or surplus to the charity so that Quaker work in the United-Kingdom and around the world can carry on.